Steven Koons, CPA, PMP, offers extensive experience providing a mix of assurance and consulting services to civilian and defense agencies across the federal government. At Sikich, he is the federal government services lead and the D.C. metro region market lead. His experience includes leading financial statement audits, advising clients on technical budgetary and appropriations matters, designing internal controls, and preparing congressional reports. Steve joined Sikich through the 2022 acquisition of Cotton & Company, a sophisticated, leading organization in the government space. Prior to his leadership role at Cotton & Company, he held audit positions with the Office of Inspector General for the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System and the U.S. Government Accountability Office. In his current role, Steve oversees Sikich’s delivery of a wide array of services to federal clients.
Steve frequently lectures on governmental topics to graduate students in accounting, is a former adjunct accounting professor and is published in the Journal of Government Financial Management. Originally from Pennsylvania, Steve resides on Capitol Hill and actively volunteers in his local community.
- Association of Government Accountants (AGA), Member
- Virginia Society of Certified Public Accountants (VSCPA), Member
- Federal Accounting Standards Advisory Board (FASAB), Former Taskforce Member for Public-Private Partnerships and for Deferred Maintenance
- American Society of Military Comptrollers, Member
- Alvernia University, Trustee
- Bachelor of Arts, Accounting and Management, minor in Political Science, Alvernia University
- Master of Accounting and University Fellow, Fisher College of Business, The Ohio State University
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
- Project Management Professional (PMP)