A regional healthcare provider with 12,000 employees working in four hospitals, as well as 208 clinical settings and administrative offices, needed an independent assessment of progress on their strategic plans for HR. The organization had grown significantly over the previous 10 years through acquisition and organic growth. Despite this growth, the HR staff and their HR technology remained largely the same. The organization was in the process of revamping the HR organization and had launched five individual initiatives. We were retained to determine if these initiatives were on track and moving the right direction.
Our analysis, which was based on data gathered by interviewing members of all five teams and reviewing project plans and project charter documents, showed that the teams were on track but could use some additional cross functional communications and better project planning. The most significant finding of this study was that all five work teams were converging on and in need of new technology that could better support the resulting organization. The organization needed to determine the best technology strategy. Options included investing in the current 20-year-old highly customized solution, adding “best of breed” solutions or investing in new technology that could support the organizations as it continued to grow.
Once the strategy of adding new technology was agreed, we were retained to facilitate an independent vendor selection process with two incumbent vendors and one additional new vendor. The results of the selection process were a competitive and comparative cost analysis and client-driven assessment of each solution’s functionality and the vendors’ abilities to meet the needs of the organization.
We were further retained to run a competitive process to select the implementation provider. Once the implementation vendor was chosen, we were retained to provide program and project management during the implementation process.
- A technology strategy that is focused on a modern ERP, capable of supporting the organization’s future needs that had defined links to the organization’s enterprise strategic initiatives
- An objective vendor selection process that was client-focused, in which the client actively participated
- Creation of a staff augmentation budget
- A six-month preparation process to get ready for cloud computing. We led a client team through the documentation of current state HR processes and the evaluation of grandfathered past practices and policies in an attempt to simplify and harmonize
- Program and Project Management for an 18-month implementation project
- Worked with the client, vendor and implementation consultant to identify alternative solutions and workarounds for software deficiencies
Assessing and Planning
- Thorough Discovery
- Objective analysis
- Detailed understanding of client requirements, needs and wants
Evaluation & Selection
- Understanding the vendor market place
- Objective evaluations
- Detailed cost analysis – truly understanding the numbers and terms of the contract
- Vendor management skills
- Remain objective and independent
Implementation & Organization
- Management consulting skills (influence, motivation, relationship building, objective and facts based) and vendor management
- Project Management skills
- Understanding the work and the WBS
- Change Management
HCM & Payroll Case Studies
We help clients just like you achieve their long-term, strategic goals. View more of our case studies to learn how.