Janel M. O’Connor, SPHR, SHRM-SCP, is the Chief Human Resources Officer and Partner of Internal Human Capital at Sikich LLP. She is responsible for the firm’s human capital strategy, employee experience and engagement, diversity and inclusion, with a focus on building a culture of excellence for the organization’s 1,000+ professionals nationwide. She is also responsible for supporting the firm’s organic growth through the integration of acquisitions.
Janel and her team of human resources professionals lead strategy in the areas of employee relations, performance management, internal communication, employee programs and benefits and wellness. In addition, her team operates and oversees Sikich University, the firm’s formalized learning and development program that consists of management, sales, technical and overall leadership development programs for emerging professionals and leaders.
Janel has worked in the human resources profession for over 21 years with both larger Fortune 500 and startup professional services organizations. She is a frequent speaker on building best places to work and has been a contributor to various human resources expert panel discussions in the areas of workplace engagement and best practices.
Janel is designated as a Senior Professional in Human Resources by the Society of Human Resources Management. She is a previous recipient of the Department of Management at Northern Illinois University’s Alumni of the Year.
- Society of Human Resources Management, SHRM
- Human Resources Management Association of Chicago (HRMAC)
- Chicago SHRM
- Northern Illinois University Management Executive Advisory Council, Board Member
- Community Networking Center, Board Member
- Bachelor’s Degree, Human Resources Management, Minor in Marketing, Northern Illinois University
- Master’s Degree, Human Resources Management, Keller Graduate School of Management
- Northern Illinois University, Department of Management, Alumni of the Year, 2016